Wednesday, April 1, 2009

BACKYARD HARVEST

photo credit Backyard Harvest

I had the good fortune to re-meet Amy Gray last week. When introduced by a mutual friend I couldn't help thinking, I've heard of this woman, where? "Did I read about you in Martha Stewart Living" I asked. "No it was Country Living" she answered.  ahh yes.....Women Entrepreneurs.

Amy started an organization in Moscow called Backyard Harvest. They organize the pick up of the extra veggies your garden is producing and distribute that bounty to area food banks and community meal programs. They also have the Town Orchard Project  where you can register any fruit trees on your property and they will come and pick the fruit, leave you some if you wish and distribute the rest.  Simple actions- big big results.  Amy has been getting lots of national press lately and when you meet her, you will understand why. Her energy is huge, if I could see her aura I would say it was bright spring green.  I am so impressed by what she has accomplished, but then, she is working from a place deep in her heart to help others and foster community.
Backyard Harvest will be at our EARTH saturDAY event April 25th and at the Moscow Farmers Market all season.  You can also check out an Iowa Public Television segment here.

2 comments:

Brighid said...

What a great idea. I would like to see something like that get started here. So will pass on the info to those who can get the idea out there. And so the ball rolls on.

Laeriss said...

Je vous remercie pour votre lien vers Un Cœur en Provence, j'en suis très flattée.
Je me suis permise de vous citer dans ma rubrique "Mes lectrices"
Amitiés.